What are your hopes for the service-learning project?
My hopes for this project are to develop a great interaction with the children at the Lydia Home. I hope to help them and to meet their needs, as well as to portray different aspects of the many tasks associated with the after-school program. I am determined to help them have a fun time, as well as learn when it is necessary. I aim to be a role-model to the children.
What are your assumptions about your service-learning site?
Some of my assumptions indicate that it is very possible that some children come from families who struggle in certain areas of life. Income, parenting styles, and if the children's basic needs are met may all influence how some of the children act. I presume that some children may have behavioral problems and it will take more patience to please them, but again, these are just assumptions.
What do you already know/or assume about the work they do?
I assume that tutoring is present at this after-school program. The children that struggle more in school are benefited from the one-on-one interaction of how they are taught by mentors and tutors. I am predicting that there are adults designated for children who misbehave or cause trouble.
What do you know/or assume about the population they serve?
I assume the population is very diverse in ethnic backgrounds, cognitive level or ability, and personality traits such as sociability. I think that clothing may vary and in general the way the children portray themselves in terms of hygiene will also be quite different. The childrens' attitudes will also play a role in the influential factors that differentiate the children from each other in this setting.
What connections/interests/passions do you have for this site or the population it serves?
As a future career, I want to be a pediatric occupational therapist. I am majoring in psyche/pre-ot and I really love to work with children, especially when it overlaps with psyche. To see the children smile is my absolute priority, and I have a real passion for making children happier. I think this can be achieved through this service project at this site. It will allow me to connect with individual children and help them develop both cognitively and as a person in general.
No comments:
Post a Comment