Sunday, April 14, 2013

Blog #3 (During Service)


The second week that we served at the Lydia Home the kids decorated Easter baskets on Monday and had an Easter egg hunt. They collected eggs, with each egg having a number in them to determine the order in which they drew a prize. The kids were easily distracted by asking to play with my phone and one girl, Donielle, wanting to see pictures on my phone. Mary and I had to be completely on our toes because there was a lot of commotion that we encountered in this week, in multiple ways, which I will discuss next.

On Monday, March 25, I worked in the computer room with the kids to work on skill-building activities. They were instructed to work on a lesson and then to play a game that corresponded to that lesson to help reinforce the concepts they had learned from the lesson. I felt very in over-my-head due to the fact that the kids were very rowdy and were having a very tough time staying focused. Aside from this inattention, Mary and I played the Dr. Seuss matching game and Candyland with the children. Conflict was especially  present through the children’s over excessive fighting with one another over whose turn it was next and when one child would accuse another child of cheating. The concept of direct aggression was used to indicate how the children were wishing bad luck upon each other, or expressing maledictions. Ridicule was also present through the children yelling at each other in a variety of ways, including teasing to extremes. Another example of conflict is present through competition. By each child fending for himself and wanting to win as opposed to lose, high self-centeredness was shown by the children, instead of showing sincere concern and consideration for others.

On Wednesday, March 27, Mary and I played Legos with a child named Marreck and I helped tutor him on his skill-building book for the kindergarten level. I noticed he was very productive and willing to work diligently. His attitude had seemed to change for the better. Maybe this is because he wanted me to work with him, due to the sort of bond we developed when I was playing Legos with him. This introduces the important concept of friendship. By getting to talk to Marreck and interact with him while playing Legos with him, he seemed to connect with me on a different level, one that indicated friendship. An opposite-sex friendship was formed, allowing for him to ask questions about how I lived as a girl in relation to him, by his being a boy. He asked if Mary was my sister and said “Why are you staring at all of the boys? Because you like to see them naked?!” Clearly, since he was only at the kindergarten level, he was exploring these opposite-sex relations, still unsure about some aspects.

For future interactions, I learned that many children experience conflict in their own ways, just like adults do, needing specialized help to solve conflicts they experience. I will display more patience when helping more children discuss disputes they are having. Since I want to work with children, this is very important that I realize it takes time for children to develop the skills necessary to be good communicators, especially in dealing with conflict. I also realize the sort of friendships that can be formed between children and between children and young/older adults. Their young minds are exploring how each person is unique, especially when it comes to gender. In the future, I will understand this exploration aspect of children’s minds in terms of gender, by them learning to distinguish between boy and girl characteristics. This will cause me to just go along with what they are thinking, rather than by being uncooperative by not understanding where they are coming from, due to the fact that I will be empathetic to how children are just getting started cognitively.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment